Testing and inspection of recooler systems and cooling towers to German VDI 2047
The German VDI 2047 series of standards “Hygiene in open recooler systems” describes how recooler systems and evaporative cooling systems should be operated. Recooling systems are used in industry, for example, in cooling towers in power stations. Smaller systems are used in air conditioning systems in hospitals, supermarkets, sports centres and shopping centres.
Dangers can arise if bacteria multiply in the recooling system and are then discharged into the environment in the course of evaporation. If this occurs, germs such as Legionella or Pseudomonas can cause serious illnesses. SGS Germany tests and inspects hygiene standards in recooling systems to avoid these health risks.
Expert reports, risk analysis and external inspection in accordance with VDI 2047
If you appoint SGS to inspect and test cooling towers or other evaporative cooling systems, you can rest assured that your systems comply with the hygiene regulations in VDI 2047 concerning the inspection of recooler systems.
The experts at the SGS Group Germany, which also includes SGS-TÜV Saar and SGS Institut Fresenius, offer the required expertise combined with analyses, tests and expert reports in accordance with “VDI 2047 Part 2 Open recooler systems – Securing hygienically sound operation of evaporative cooling systems (VDI Cooling Tower Code of Practice)”:
- We inspect and assess your recooling plant. We advise on when and how often you should have these systems inspected and tested.
- We perform microbiological analyses on the cooling water and aerosols, and determine the total viable count. With SGS as your partner, you avoid the risk of pathogens, such as those that cause Legionnaires’ disease, multiplying in your cooling tower and putting people at risk.
- SGS experts inspect your cooling plant, analyse the risks and evaluate them. This provides you with a risk assessment as stipulated in VDI 2047.
- If your system does not comply with the regulations or we identify risks, we will present you with recommended actions. SGS will develop solutions for you.
This means you ensure that your recooling system not only conforms to the technical standard VDI 2047 but is also already operated in compliance with the regulations that are expected to enter into force with the Federal Immission Control Act in Germany (Bundes-Immissionsschutzgesetz, BImSchG).
Safe recooler systems compliant with VDI 2047
SGS is commissioned service provider to analyse samples from your cooling tower in a laboratory and can also conduct the risk assessment. With SGS, our experts will support you through every step of the entire process: from the initial assessment of the particular tests that are recommended for your recooling system via the microbiological and physico-chemical analyses right the way through to the inspection of your recooling systems.
SGS not only ensures that your cooling plant is operated in compliance with regulations and fulfils the requirements of VDI 2047. We can also support you in other areas, including compliance with the following German regulations:
- the Occupational Safety and Health Act (Arbeitsschutzgesetz)
- the Biological Agents Ordinance (Biostoffverordnung)
- the Drinking Water Ordinance (Trinkwasserverordnung)
- the Industrial Safety and Health Ordinance (Betriebssicherheitsverordnung)
and with many other areas and duties where you require analyses, verification or certifications.
Appoint SGS to inspect recooler systems for compliance with VDI 2047
Choose SGS and ensure that your systems meet the requirements of VDI 2047 for evaporative cooling systems. We have regional partners across Germany on hand to assist you. Simply call us or email your enquiry.
SGS INSTITUT FRESENIUS GmbH
p +49 (0) 800 222 5 666
f +49 (0) 800 222 5 777