SEMICON Europe 2015 – Speech on "Challenges in failure analysis of power and automotive microelectronics"
SEMICON Europa is the leading trade fair for the semiconductor industry in Europe. SGS will be part of the Power Electronics Conference. Our expert Gerald Dallmann presents a speech on challenges in failure analysis of power and automotive microelectronics.
07. Oct 2015, 16:50
07. Oct 2015, 17:15
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 SGS expert Gerald Dallmann presents a speech on "Challenges in failure analysis of power and automotive microelectronics" at SEMICON Europa's Power Electronics Conference in Dresden, Germany.
Semiconductor devices are rapidly entering new markets and applications. Power transistors are used in motor control applications like steering gears or in inverters for PV or wind power applications. To reduce volume and cost the transistors are combined with microcontrollers and new package types, requiring new technologies and material combinations and leading to additional failure and degradation mechanisms.
On the other hand the automotive industry requires a zero failure policy and forces suppliers to understand every field failure in short time. The classical semiconductor device qualification procedure is very limited in statistics and is not capable to demonstrate and assure a zero failure level.
Additional information has to be considered to understand reliability mechanisms and to improve quality. The lecture shows some typical failure mechanisms found in the SGS lab acting as a service provider for many different companies. Some weak spots are discussed with recommendations for improvements.
Biography Gerald Dallmann
Division Manager Microelectronics, SGS INSTITUT FRESENIUS GmbH
- Division Manager at SGS Institut Fresenius GmbH in Dresden, Germany, since 2009.
- Main focus on material and failure analysis of semiconductor devices of client companies.
- 1995 Director for technology development at Siemens, Infineon, Qimonda, responsible for process integration, yield enhancement and material and technology development of DRAMs.
- 1990 Product manager microelectronics at Institut Fresenius in Dresden. Main Focus on failure analysis of semiconductor devices.
- 1986 Department manager electron microscopy at Zentrum Mikroelektronik Dresden (ZMD).
- 1986 Diploma in Microelectronics Technology and Semiconductor Devices.